Five Great Brain Exercise Apps for Avoiding Alzheimer's Disease
Five Great Brain Exercise Apps for Avoiding Alzheimer's Disease
I always thought that I had a high capacity for recalling things. In fact, I could vividly describe what happened when I was a small child, the addresses of places I lived in my lifetime, etc..
However, as I age, there are things that I could easily forget. In one workshop, while in the middle of my group's brainstorming, I was leading a discussion flow and was writing a term on the poster board. Lo and behold, I could not remember the correct spelling that very common word! What a real embarrassment.
This and many other situations led me to exploring how to handle and manage my condition. I was caught in great fear because of researches nowadays that reveal how the early onset of Alzheimer's disease is emerging in people age 40 and above (now you know I'm part of the age group!).
My constant exploration brought me to these top five mobile and portable device apps that anyone like me can use to train the brain how to function to the maximum and to improve memory and attention.
1. Lumosity: Lumosity’s free brain training program is a fun, interactive way to build a daily habit around acquiring knowledge and learning about how you think. Used by over 90 million people worldwide, Lumosity offers a comprehensive brain training program designed to put your critical thinking, memory, and problem-solving skills to the test.
It’s easy to get caught up in the hustle and bustle of life and let your brain go on standby. With over 40 brain games and activities, Lumosity challenges your mental muscles across a variety of segments – memory, attention, speed, flexibility and problem solving. The games are quick and simple, but require immense focus to master.
Start your brain training habit with a free 10 minute Fit Test to set your baseline scores and see how you compare with people your age. With Lumosity Premium, you will work out with a personalized training program, unlock in-depth insights about how you play, and receive tips for better game accuracy, speed and strategy.
Lumosity has the following great features:
- Over 40 mind games that challenge core cognitive and academic abilities, including:
- Puzzle games
- Memory games
- Problem solving games
- Logic games
- Critical thinking games
- Math games
- Language games
I am giving this app a five star rating. When I open the app, I make sure that I have nothing else to do because it is so addictive and motivating!
Click here to learn more about this app.
2. Elevate is a brain training program designed to improve focus, speaking abilities, processing speed, memory, math skills, and more. Each person is provided with a personalized training program that adjusts over time to maximize results.
The more you train with Elevate, the more you’ll improve critical cognitive skills that are proven to boost productivity, earning power, and self-confidence. Users who train at least 3 times per week have reported dramatic gains and increased confidence.
The following are some of Elevate's top features:
• 35+ games for critical cognitive skills like focus, memory, processing, math, precision, and comprehension
• Detailed performance tracking
• Personalized daily workouts that include the skills you need most
• Adaptive difficulty progression to ensure your experience is challenging
• Workout calendar to help you track your streaks and stay motivated
• Play 4 additional mini-games and review your performance on your Apple Watch with Elevate Dash
• And more!
3. Brain it On!
This app offers deceptively challenging puzzles for your brain.
Draw shapes to solve challenging physics puzzles. They're not as easy as they look. Care to give one a try?
Some of the app's great features include:
◆ Dozens of brain busting puzzles, with more being added all the time
◆ Compete with your friends for the Brain It On! crown
◆ Multiple ways to solve each puzzle, can you find the best solution?
◆ Share your unique solutions and compare with your friends
Check this app to learn more. Click here.
4. Peak: Brain Training
It’s time to play smarter and feel sharper with Peak, the app that was chosen as Best App 2014 in over 24 countries around the world. Join millions of brain trainers worldwide and see what the fuss is all about.
Reach Peak performance with over 40 unique games, each one developed by neuroscientists and game experts to challenge your cognitive skills and push you further. Use Coach, the personal trainer for your brain, to find the right workout for you at the right time. Choose from Coach’s best recommendations to push your skills to the max. Or take contextual workouts like Coffee Break if you’re short on time. Coach will help you track your progress using in-depth insights and keep you going when you need it most.
Using this app, you can play for free or upgrade to Pro and get the best brain training experience available.
Explore the following great features:
- Free games that challenge your Memory, Attention, Problem Solving, Mental Agility, Language, Coordination, Creativity and Emotion Control.
- Learn which categories you excel in, and compete with friends by comparing your brainmap and game performance.
- Get access to Peak Advanced Training Plans: intensive programs that train a specific skill, including the new Wizard memory game created with Professor Barbara Sahakian and Tom Piercy in the Department of Psychiatry at the University of Cambridge.
- Unwind with Peak’s relaxing activities to bring calm and balance to your experience.
- Available for Apple Watch with 3 games that assess your memory and attention.
Click here to get this app.
5. Tricky Test 2 is an addictive free IQ game you can enjoy with your friends. Get ready to take the quiz and find out if you have a GENIUS brain or not!
Tricky Test 2 is a whole new free puzzle game with a series of tricky brain teasers and absurd solutions that you will never ever think of - the goal of this trivia game is not to be tricked (so far, over 6 million players have been tricked!). Are you smart enough to beat your friends’ IQ? Take the cunning test now if you think you’re a GENIUS!
Each of the brain teasers in this game is unique and pushes your creative thinking to the limit. If you can finish 111 trivia quizzes in 120 minutes, you will be pronounced a genius!
The top features include:
- “111 Tricky & Mind-blowing Brain Teasers″ - you will be tricked!
- “Find Out if You’re a Genius″ - An IQ quiz that tests your memory, logic and math abilities!
- “Test Your Friends Mode” - select the hardest questions to test your friends’ IQ!
- “Fun for All Ages” - best trivia game for family & friends’ gatherings!
- “Tap, Shake or Kiss your Phone?″ - Nothing’s impossible, brain it on!
Let's stop worrying of an aging brain!